Sunday, October 19, 2008

A bond between coach and player

A week ago, there was a note about how Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell and his recently-fired coach Lane Kiffin keep in touch.  Said Russell:  

“He just called and talked to me about their defense, things he would do if he was here.  So, really, nothing changed.  He has got a lot of off time on his hands, so he would pay attention to the defense I would have to go up against. He leaves me a text message or a voice mail here or there.”

Then I see where Rockets rookie Joey Dorsey, who played at Memphis for John Calipari, talks to Coach Cal 3-4 times a week.  Said Dorsey:  

“That’s my mentor.  I look to coach Cal like a daddy. I’ve been talking to him and Rod Strickland (a Memphis assistant) a lot about what’s going on. I need to talk to Cal, to somebody, while I’m going through my ups and downs.”

Great examples of the respect and bond that players and coaches develop -- both of which continue long after the player or coach has moved on.